Nexus Personal Management, Inc.
Who We Are:
Who We are Not:
1. We are a Personal Management Firm representing the business interests of models and actors ( Our Clients). This is a specific category of business as defined by general business law of New York State
2. We are experts in promoting our clients to corporate advertisers for use in commercial advertising projects... and in negotiating contracts for their services in accordance with National Standards in terms of contract terms and compensation.
3. Our corresponding Corporate Clients are largely publicly traded companies or their Ad Agencies who have advertising produced in Upstate New York.
4, We are experts in Labor Law as it is defined for Models and Actors working in NYS. See: http://www.blackwood-teele.com/The%20Law/The%20Law.htm
5. We represent Men and Women over 18 years of age who are physically suitable to compete for professional quality jobs at professional level wage scales.
6. We prefer seasoned clients with relevant industry experience, professional quality model portfolios and actors with national credits on their resumes. We are extremely selective in who we agree to represent. We do take a small number of "New Faces" each year... depending on the projected needs of the marketplace.
7. We evaluate candidates for enthusiasm, business acumen, initiative, and suitable personality aside from simple physical appearance.
8. We become the "business side" of our actor model clients with a fiduciary responsibility to them.
9. We focus on traditionally handsome athletic men with well proportioned bodies... and elegant classy women.
10. On the advertising side we book primarily, Commercial Print, Consumer Internet Advertising and Television Commercials.
11. We are experts at SAG/AFTRA TV and Radio Contracts.. and their terms. and pay scales.
12, We are compensated by our clients on a contingency commission basis. i.e. we ONLY make money on work our clients actually procure. There are NO fees or other charges for being represented by Nexus. Models and Actors are, however, responsible for the costs of their own individual advertising and promotional materials.
13. We do require regional ( Upstate New York) exclusivity of our clients.
14. We are a New York State Corporation in business since 1983.
1. We are not a Modeling School, A Model School Franchise ( i.e. Barbizon, Willhelmina, etc.) ,or a Temporary Employment Agency of any sort or kind..
2. We are not a collector of random faces which are kept in casting files... just in case!.
3. We do not manage children of ANY SORT. ( There is NO money in it regionally and there are specific laws governing the employment of child models and actors. i.e. "Coogan Laws" governing trust requirements for income earned by minors plus work permit laws.)
4. We do not sell test photography. walking lessons, makeup courses , model portfolios, classes, mugs, T Shirts etc. ( You can't go to school to be a model. Sorry...it is genetic. You either are or are not. If you get a job... people do your makeup and provide wardrobe for you.)
5. We are not a free library for industry information. We do not provide consultations by phone or e-mail. (We do look at e-mailed photos to decide who we may have an interest in interviewing for mutually beneficial representation. New Face photos can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org for review.)
6. We do not respond to photo submissions from candidates in whom we have no interest.
7. We do not return "request-for-information" telephone calls.
8. We do not represent "real people", plus size models, pets, musicians, or promotional models.
9. We do not charge any fees... except for commissions on paid work resulting from our services to our clients..
10. We do not represent people who wish to approach this on a lark or as a hobby. It is not. It is not the equivalent of piano or tap dance lessons. It is business. Normal business laws apply in this industry too.
11. We do not accept any kind of work offered. It has to meet certain requirements in terms of type, pay rates and terms. We quote all projects in writing to the corporate clients before any interaction by the talent represented. We are transparent in all negotiations. We negotiate for the talent we represent.. not for the company.
12. We do not train anyone. Models are born not trained. Circus animals are trained. The industry is all about what you look ( photograph) like and whether you can follow rudimentary direction. i.e. " Just read the lines and don't trip over the furniture."
13. We are not staffed by ex-hairdressers, ex-beauty queens,ex cheerleaders ,current scam artists, or ex-mall- fashion show divas. We are staffed by professionals with college degrees and expertise in contracts, labor law, privacy law, advertising & promotion and computer technology.
Ten ( 10) Facts You Should Know About the Modeling Industry